Hi everyone! Happy almost August. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for the weather to cool off a bit...Let's take a quick second to talk about the bisphenol A chemical (also known as BPA). Many people wonder - exactly what is BPA and why is it bad for you?
BPA is a chemical additive used to make hard, clear plastics. But the problem is that it can imitate certain human hormones, which can cause disruptions in your endocrine system. Specifically, it can cause issues such as breast cancer, prostate cancer, low sperm count, early puberty, hyperactivity and more.
With that information, it's important to know that products that are labeled "BPA-free" aren't always free of harmful chemicals. While they are technically free of BPA, they can also contain similar compounds such as BPS or BPF, which can also be harmful.
So what steps can you take to safely avoid these chemicals? We've bulleted out a couple of key items below:
- Avoid hard, plastic cups when possible, and opt for glass cups or bottles instead. Silicone sleeves can help protect glass bottles from breaking.
- Use clear silicone nipples instead of latex rubber nipples, as these may have impurities linked to cancer.
- Avoid using plastic bottles liners, as chemicals can leach from the plastic into formula or breast milk.
- If using formula, buy the powdered kind and avoid buying the liquid kind. BPA can sneak into the formula from the metal lining.
- Avoid microwaving food in ANY kind of plastic cup or container, no matter what the plastic is.
- Find more tips and detailed information here on the Children's Health Environment Network.
The good news? Hugabugg has been on top of this research, and the company is currently working on a brand-new bottle lid. It's made with 100% silicone and able to fit any stainless steel bottle or cup with a diameter between 2.5 to 3.75 inches. It will also work with the popular 18-8 stainless cups, and will come in green or blue, featuring Katy the Caterpillar.
Once it's available, we'll make sure to send the word out! As always, send me any questions or thoughts at Crystal@hugabugg.com!